Serving Missouri with timely information about issues of the bail bond industry.

Although Missouri Bondsman encourages debate on topics of interest to the bail industry, please be aware that comments are moderated. Please observe the posting rules. No comments will be printed that contain spam, profanity, or libelous comments. Please post comments in a civil, professional manner.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Addressing Consumer Complaints

Professional bail bond companies offer excellent customer service

A few months ago, I published a guest editorial from the DIFP, Consumer Affairs Division. The editorial stated that consumer complaints received by the Department usually involve “an agent’s handling of an initial bail transaction, misappropriation of bail money or collateral, failure to return bail money or collateral in a timely manner after proceedings have concluded and unlicensed bail bond or fugitive recovery activity. The most common complaint: lack of customer service.”

I received the following email from a person yesterday. The name and some details of the transaction have been withheld.

I am having a difficult time getting a refund from a Missouri bail bond agent and need to know what action I can take or who to contact. I was put in jail and released my belongings to a bondsman so I could post the full bail using my credit card for $600 bail, plus $120 bond fee. The bondsman said all I would need to do to get the refund is to notify him/her after my court date and it could take up to 90 days to get the $600 credited back to my card. I went to court last summer and have been in contact several times, usually getting the run-around like the boss isn't here right now, or on vacation...etc. The last time I did get a straight answer and was told the collateral would be released in 3-4 days. That was before Christmas and I am losing my patience. What can I do at this point?

I responded to the inquiry, informing the person that if a concern with a bail bond agent goes unresolved, consumer complaints should be directed to the DIFP.

If you need to get in contact with the DIFP, the Consumer Insurance Hotline is 1-800-726-7390. Anyone can file a complaint online here or download a paper complaint here.

There are always two sides to every story, but the best way to avoid disgruntled clients is to be responsive to customer inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although Missouri Bondsman encourages debate on topics of interest to the bail industry, please be aware that comments are moderated. Please observe the posting rules. No comments will be printed that contain spam, profanity, or libelous comments. Please post comments in a civil, professional manner.

Sitemeter